Assays that quantify disease phenotype changes in cells require no prior knowledge of disease mechanism of action. A good example of this is in the field of oncology, where uncontrolled cell proliferation is a hallmark of cancer and can be used as the basis for a phenotypic assay. Cytation™ and Lionheart™ can quantify many types of phenotype change, such as counting cells by either fluorescence or brightfield microscopy in the case of cell proliferation. Many other phenotypes can be quantified based on the use of specific fluorescent probes, such as those for oxidative stress, hypoxia, apoptosis, translocation, etc and the image analysis capabilities of Gen5™ Image Prime that provide dual masking capabilities and sub-population analyses based on a wide range of calculated metrics.
Phase contrast monitoring of MDA-MB-231 cells undergoing oridonin-induced apoptosis at 0, 6 and 20 hrs.
- Kinetic Proliferation Assay Using Label-Free Cell Counting
- Image-Based Analysis of a Human Neurosphere Stem Cell Model for the Evaluation of Potential Neurotoxicants
- Induction and Inhibition Studies of Hypoxia and Oxidative Stress in Immortalized Keratinocytes
- Label-Free Phenotype MicroArrays™ Analysis of Cellular Energetics and Apoptotic Activity using Microplate Reading and Phase Contrast Imaging
- Lipid Accumulation in HepG2 Cells Exposed to Free Fatty Acids
- Phenotypic and Epigenetic Mechanism of Action Determinations of Histone Methylase and Demethylase Inhibitors using Digital Widefield Microscopy
- Use of Phase Contrast Imaging to Track Morphological Cellular Changes due to Apoptotic Activity
BioTek’s Visual Abstracts are brief animated presentations describing the Augmented Microscopy workflow of a specific application.
- A New Look at Cell-based Assays in a Multi-Mode Microplate Reader using Fluorescence Microscopy
- Phenotypic and MoA Analysis of Anti-Metastatic Molecules using 3D Spheroid-Based Tumor Invasion Assays, Kinetic Microplate Detection, and Cellular Microscopy
- Lionheart FX Automated Microscope
- Lionheart LX Automated Microscope
- BioSpa Live Cell Imaging System
- Cytation 7 Cell Imaging Multi-Mode Reader
- Cytation 5 Cell Imaging Multi-Mode Reader
- Cytation 1 Cell Imaging Multi-Mode Reader
Learn more about the broad range of phenotypic assay applications in our Resources page.