BioTek History Timeline
BioTek is a family-run organization with origins dating back to 1968. In 1981 BioTek entered the microplate instrument arena and introduced its first microplate reader. Since then, BioTek has emerged as a global leader in life science instrumentation solutions that increase the productivity for customers engaged in healthcare, pharmaceutical, agricultural and research applications.Our products are proudly Made in the USA. The historical timeline below outlines some of BioTek's milestones since entering the life science market.
- BioTek China opens 3rd office.
- BioTek Expands Winooski, VT facility by 22,000 sq. feet.
- Cytation 1 is released for affordable digital imaging and multi-mode detection.
- BioTek Receives 2016 Governor’s Excellence in Worksite Wellness award.
- BioTek Receives Patent for Imaging and Microplate Reading in one Instrument.
- BioTek Goes Solar!
- BioTek releases Lionheart FX Automated Live Cell Imager.
- BioTek launches Traditional Chinese Language Web Site.
- BioTek receives the President's "E" Award.
- BioTek Synergy Neo2 wins Scientists' Choice Awards for Best New Life Sciences Product of 2015.
- BioTek expands in Canada.
- U.S. Patent Granted for BioStack 4 de-lidding and re-lidding.
- BioTek Awarded Patent for Automated Ultrasonic Blockage Detection and Cleaning in Microplate Washers.
- BioTek releases second generation Cytation 5 Cell Imaging Multi-Mode Reader.
- BioTek releases Epoch 2 Microplate Spectrophotometer & Synergy HTX Multi-Mode Microplate Reader.
- BioTek releases MultiFlo FX with optional RAD (Random Access Dispense) technology.
- BioTek receives the Silver Edison Award for the Cytation 3 Cell Imaging Multi-Mode Reader.
- BioTek receives the 2013 Worksite Wellness Gold Award.
- BioTek introduces new “Think Possible” tagline.
- BioTek receives theBioTek receives the2013 Drug Discovery Product of the Year - Scientists' Choice Award for the Cytation 3 Cell Imaging Multi-Mode Reader.
- BioTek combines multi-mode detection and automated microscopy in the revolutionary Cytation 3 Cell Imaging Multi-Mode Reader!
- BioTek introduces the patented Verify™ Technology available on 405 Touch and 405 LS models, MultiFlo™ FX Microplate Dispenser and BioStack™ 4 Microplate Stacker.
- BioTek opens Japan and Taiwan offices.
- BioTek receives the 2012 Drug Discovery Product of the Year - Scientists' Choice Award for the Synergy™ Neo HTS Multi-Mode Microplate Reader.
- BioTek receives European patent for Microplate Washer Technology and U.S. patent for Hybrid Technology.
- BioTek France SAS is formed on January 1, 2012.
- 2nd office opens in China, expanding local coverage to Shanghai.
- BioTek receives 2012 Best Places to Work in Vermont Award.
- BioTek introduces the 405 Touch Microplate Washer and 405 LS Microplate Washer, Gas Controller for Synergy H1, BioStack3 Microplate Stacker and Synergy Neo HTS Multi-Mode Microplate Reader.
- BioTek opens Korea office.
- Italian, Russian and Korean languages added to multi-lingual website.
- BioTek introduces the world’s first deep well microplate washer (ELx405 Select Deep Well).
- Eon Microplate Spectrophotometer and Take3 Trio Micro-Volume Plates are released.
- BioTek releases the second generation of Gen5 Software….enhanced visuals and easy-to-use interface.
- BioTek wins Vermont’s 5x5x5 Growth Award.
- BioTek receives 2011 Frost & Sullivan North American New Product Innovation Award for Workflow Solutions in Life Sciences.
- Synergy H1 Hybrid Multi-Mode Microplate Reader, Synergy H4 2nd generation Hybrid Reader and Synergy 2 Alpha Microplate Reader introduced. MultiFlo Microplate Dispenser introduced.
- BioTek wins Deane C. Davis Outstanding Business of the Year award.
- BioTek opens Switzerland office.
- 1000th Galileo Echo automated blood testing instrument manufactured and shipped for Immucor, Inc.
- Epoch Microplate Spectrophotometer and Take3 Multi-Volume Plate introduced. Synergy Mx Monochromator-Based Multi-Mode Microplate Reader introduced.
- BioTek is awarded Best Place to Work in Vermont from VT Business Magazine and Business of the Year from the Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce.
- BioTek increases facility by 8000 sq ft. Service department moves and new lab is created.
- BioTek launches multi-lingual website in 6 languages (English, French, German, Spanish, Chinese and Japanese.)
- BioTek receives EP Patent for Verify technology and Ultrasonic Advantage washer technologies.
- BioTek celebrates 40th Anniversary.
- MicroFlo Select Dispenser introduced.
- EL406 Combination Washer/Dispensed is released.
- BioTek holds first Global Sales Meeting in Burlington, VT with the theme "One World. One Team. One Focus." Staff and distributors from around the world attended with 42 countries represented.
- BioStack Twister II Microplate Handler introduced.
- The first issue of TekTalk, BioTek’s Quarterly Customer E-Newsletter is published.
- Precision XS Microplate Sample Processor and the Clarity Microplate Luminometer introduced.
- BioTek finalizes an agreement with Immucor to develop the next generation blood typing and cross matching instrument.
- BioTek enters into an agreement with UVM and Immucor, Inc to develop a practical fluorescence based platelet assay for determining platelet activation.
- BioTek sells Biomedical division to focus solely on Laboratory Microplate business.
- BioTek opens European Coordination Center in Germany.
- BioTek introduces the Synergy HT Multi-Detection Reader, the PowerWave XS Microplate Spectrophotometer, and the BioStack Microplate Stacker.
- BioTek finalizes an agreement with Immucor, Inc. to develop a 2nd revision to the ABS2000 automated blood typing and cross matching analyzer.
- FLx800 Multi-Detection Reader, ELx405 Automated Microplate Washer and the first magnetic bead washer, the ELx405M introduced.
- BioTek is awarded U.S. patent for Universal Washing Apparatus for Microtiter Plate and the like.
- BioTek is awarded U.S. patent for Method of and Apparatus for Performing Fixed Pathlength Vertical Photometry.
- µQuant and PowerWaveX Microplate Spectrophotometers and KCJunior software for Windows introduced.
- ELx800 Automated Microplate Reader, EL404 Automated Microplate Washer, and KC3 for Windows instrument control and data reduction software are introduced.
- BioTek is awarded U.S. patent for Method of Distinguishing Among Strips for Different Assays in an Automated Instrument.
- BioTek introduces the FL500 Fluorescence Microplate Reader and ELP-40 Microplate Strip Washer.
- BioTek celebrates 25th Anniversary.
- BioTek launches ELs1000 automated ELISA system.
- Ceres 900 Automated Microplate Reader with built-in computer and screen introduced.
- BioTek enters into an agreement with Immucor, Inc. to develop the first automated blood typing and cross matching analyzer. It is later named the ABS2000.
- Kineticalc II software for microplate reader control and data reduction introduced.
- BioTek begins development of Omni System for high throughput infectious disease diagnostics and screening. Launch customers include Sorin Biomedica and Genetic Systems (inventor of the first practical HIV screening assay).
- BioTek buries time capsule to be opened October 2041.
- BioTek adopts voice mail technology.
- R&D and M&S move into current location in Highland Park across the cul-de-sac from manufacturing facility. Construction later begins to expand Manufacturing at BioTek West.
- EL340 Biokinetics reader, EL944 Turbo Software for EL311 and EL312 clinical data reduction and the ELP-35 Automated Strip Washer are introduced.
- BioTek purchases first fax machine in M&S department and transitions from Telex communication technology.
- BioTek introduces the EL311 Automated Microplate Reader, the EL312 Biokinetics Reader, the EL403 Automated Microplate Washer (the first robotic capable EL403), the EL301 Manual Strip Reader for field use, and Kineticalc PC Software for microplate reader control and data reduction.
- BioTek introduces first full line Laboratory product catalog.
- BioTek introduces the EL307c Manual Microplate Reader and the EL320 Stacking Automated Reader for automatic reading up to 25 plates.
- R&D and M&S departments move to Hercules Drive, Colchester, VT.
- BioTek introduces the EL309 Microplate Reader, and the EL401 Microplate Strip Washer.
- BioTek moves from the Chase Mill to Highland Industrial Park, Winooski, VT.
- First OEM was established with Genetic Systems to purchase the EL402 washer.
- BioTek introduces its first Automated Microplate Reader, the EL310 (with internal printer), the EL308 Manual Microplate Reader (with internal 80-column printer and cartridge programming) and the first Microplate Washer, the EL402.
- Datalogging and data reduction software for the Apple II+ and the IBM PC are introduced.
- BioTek awarded U.S. patent for Photometer with Microtray Well position indicator.
- EL307B microplate reader introduced.
- BioTek introduces first Laboratory instrument, the EL307 EIA Microplate Reader. Previously all products were developed for the Biomedical business.
- BioTek attends their first Laboratory trade show, the American Society for Microbiology.
- BioTek develops, manufactures and sells biomedical testing equipment.